This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Eating Well Mayonnaise
Here is a recipe from the recently (and sadly) defunct magazine, "Eating
Well." In addition to eliminating the problem with raw eggs, this recipe reduces
the amount of fat from the usual 10 grams per tablespoon to one gram of fat per
tablespoon. Calories are cut from 90 to 20 per tablespoon.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard, preferably Colman's
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- Pinch cayenne
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- In a medium saucepan, whisk cornstarch, mustard, sugar, salt, and cayenne. Add
1/4 cup of the buttermilk and whisk until you have a smooth paste. Add the egg and
the remaining 1/2 cup buttermilk and whisk until smooth.
- Set the pan over medium-low heat and cook, whisking until the mixture comes to
a simmer and thickens. Continue to whisk for 15 seconds, then remove the pan from
- Whisk in the lemon juice and oil. Transfer the mayonnaise to a small bowl and
press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming.
- Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days; whisk briefly before
Makes 1 cup.
Posted by CookinMom at Recipe Goldmine May 19, 2001.