Fat Free Soft Caramels
- Regular or butter flavored nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cups packed light
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons Molly McButter or other
dry butter flavoring
- 1 can fat free sweetened condensed skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon
real vanilla extract
- Lightly spray an 8-inch square pan with non stick butter or regular cooking spray
and set aside.
- In a medium size heavy bottom saucepan combine sugar with corn syrup, butter
flavoring and sweetened condensed milk. Stir mixture over low heat until sugar has
dissolved. Increase heat to medium and continue to cook stirring frequently until
mixture reaches 234 to 238 degrees F on candy thermometer (soft ball stage). Remove
from heat, stir in vanilla extract and pour immediately into prepared pan. Cool
to lukewarm and mark in 1-inch squares using a knife sprayed with cooking spray.
- Spray a teaspoon lightly with cooking spray and scoop 1 heaping teaspoon of caramel
onto a 4 x 5-inch square of wax candy papers. Roll paper jellyroll fashion and twist
ends to seal.
- Store in a cool dark place for several weeks.
Yield 38 (1 ounce) soft caramels
Each caramel: approximately 55 calories; 0.2 gram total fat; 0 saturated
fat; 0 cholesterol;14.5 grams carbohydrate; 0 gram dietary fiber; 0.1 gram protein;
38 milligrams sodium
Compare with high fat caramels at 116 calories and 5 grams total fat versus 55
calories and 0.2 gram fat