Light Applesauce Carrot Cake
The applesauce makes this style of carrot cake moist and light.
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 eggs
- 5 tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups grated carrots
Lemon Cream Frosting
- 8 ounces low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 tablespoon arrowroot
or cornstarch zest from one lemon
- 4 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a Bundt pan with nonstick vegetable spray.Combine
in large bowl until well blended.
- Add grated carrots last until just blended. Pour into pan and bake for approx.
35 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Cool on rack. Refrigerate. If desired,
frost with Lemon Cream Frosting.
- Lemon Cream Frosting: Combine in food processor and process until smooth. Place
in a saucepan and heat until nearly boiling. Stir constantly to prevent scorching.
Chill. Frost top of cake. Sprinkle with nuts.
Makes 32 small pieces.
Calories per serving 75: Protein 2 g: Fat 2 g: Cholesterol 28 mg: Carbohydrates
11 g: Sodium 90 mg
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 5/17/02 6:55:10 am.