Low Fat Angel Food Cake with Tropical Fruits
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 drop green food coloring
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 of a 16-ounce purchased angel cake or one 10-ounce frozen pound cake, thawed
- 2 small red and/or gold papayas, sliced
- 2 medium kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 1 guava, cut into wedges (optional)
- In a small saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in milk. Cook and stir
milk mixture over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat. Cook and
stir milk mixture for 2 minutes more.
- In a small mixing bowl beat egg and egg yolk. Gradually stir about 1/2 cup of
the hot milk mixture into the beaten egg mixture. Return milk and egg mixture to
saucepan. Cook and stir until nearly bubbly. Do not boil. Cook and stir mixture
for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in lime juice, butter, and food coloring.
Cover surface of custard with plastic wrap. Cool completely.
- Fold custard into yogurt. Cover and chill.
- To serve, cut angel cake or pound cake into 8 slices. Place one slice each on
8 dessert plates. Spoon lime custard onto each piece. Top with sliced fruits.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 188 Total Fat (g) 4 Saturated Fat (g) 2 Cholesterol
(mg) 113 Sodium (mg) 266 Carbohydrate (g) 34 Fiber (g) 2 Protein (g) 5
Source Better Homes And Gardens Daily Recipe Mailer