Low Fat Cherry Pie
- 2 (16 ounce) package frozen no-sugar added pitted cherries
- 12 3/4 teaspoons Equal for Recipes or 42 packets Equal sweetener or 1 3/4 cups Equal Spoonful
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 to 7 drops red food color
- Pastry for double crust 9-inch pie
- Thaw cherries completely in strainer set in bowl; reserve 3/4 cup cherry juice.
- Mix Equal, flour, cornstarch and nutmeg in small saucepan; stir in cherry juice
and heat to boiling. Boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir
in cherries; stir in food color.
- Roll half of pastry on floured surface into circle 1 inch larger than inverted
9-inch pie pan; ease pastry into pan. Pour cherry mixture into pastry.
- Roll remaining
pastry on floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness; cut into 10 to 12 strips, 1/2 inch
wide. Arrange pastry strips over filling and weave into lattice design. Trim ends
of lattice strips; fold edge of lower crust over ends of lattice strips. Seal and
- Bake in preheated 425 degrees F oven until pastry is browned, 35 to 40
- Cool on wire rack.
From the kitchen of Lior - Israel