Low Fat Chicken Pie
This pie is jammed with hearty goodness. Topped off with an innovative biscuit
crust, this one's sure to please the whole clan!
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup low sodium, reduced fat chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, cubed potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup sliced green beans (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 can (10 ounces) reduced fat Cream of Mushroom Soup (Campbell's Healthy Request), undiluted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil and ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- Filling: Spray a large saucepan with nonstick spray. Add onions and garlic. Cook over
medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add broth, potatoes, carrots, and beans.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Partially cover and simmer for 12 minutes.
The potatoes should be slightly undercooked. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, stir together mushroom soup and flour. Add to vegetables, along
with chicken, parsley, basil, thyme, and pepper. Stir well. Pour into a medium casserole
- Biscuit Crust: Combine flour, baking powder, sage, and salt in a large bowl.
using a pastry blender, cut in butter or margarine until mixture resembles coarse
crumbs. Stir in milk. Form a ball with the dough. Add a bit more flour if dough
is too sticky. Roll out on a floured surface to fit top of casserole. Place dough
over chicken mixture. Prick several times with a fork.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for
25 minutes, until crust is golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Yield: 4 servings
Per serving: 355 calories, 11.2 g. fat; 34.4 g carbohydrate, 29.6 g protein,
918 mg sodium, 85 mg cholesterol
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 4/27/02 5:48:26 pm.