Low-Fat Refried Beans
- 1 pound dry pinto beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- 2 sprigs epazote (if available)
- 1 cup chopped
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- Rinse and pick through beans. Place in large pot; add hot water to cover, 12
to 14 cups. Add bay leaf, 1 cup onion, garlic, cumin, pepper and chili powder.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer covered until beans are soft and
skins begin to split, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Add salt. Continue cooking, adding water as necessary, until beans are very soft
and broth is thick, about 1 hour.
- Add epazote; remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, cook tomato and remaining 1/2 cup onion in a medium skillet until
onions are very soft.
- Transfer cooked beans to mixer and add tomatoes and onions;
mix to smooth texture.
Yield: 10 portions
Nutrition per serving: Calories, 169; Fat, .68g (4% calories from fat); Protein,
10g; Cholesterol, 0; Sodium, 6mg
Source: Executive Chef Martin Cummins, Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas,