Bacon Honey Bourbon Chicken Meatballs
These meatballs are so easy and bake to perfection, and then simmer in an
out-of-this-world honey bourbon barbecue sauce! Perfect as an appetizer or to
serve on sandwiches.
- 6 strips bacon
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, washed and dried
- 16 ounces ground chicken
- 1 hot Italian sausage link, casing removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
Honey Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Fresh chopped parsley, to garnish (optional)
- Meatballs: Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum
and spray with non-stick cooking spray or grease a large skillet. Set aside.
- Pulse together the bacon and button mushrooms until blended.
- Place the mushroom and bacon mixture, ground chicken, and hot Italian
sausage, salt, pepper, chili powder, and garlic, and breadcrumbs into a medium mixing bowl and mix until combined.
- Scoop the meat mixture using a medium cookie scoop and place onto the
baking sheet or in the skillet. Repeat until all of the meat has been used. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Honey Bourbon Barbecue Sauce: Whisk together the water, barbecue sauce,
bourbon, and honey in a large skillet. Simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked meatballs to the sauce, coat each meatball, and simmer
over low-to-medium heat for 15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.
Yield: 48 Meatballs | Prep time 10 min | Cook Time 35 min
Recipe courtesy of Gal on a Mission through The Mushroom Council.