Freezer Meatballs 2
This makes about 12 dozen meatballs (5 batches) that can be frozen in batches
and used in numerous ways. Two uses follow the basic recipe.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups dry breadcrumbs (seasoned
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 pounds lean ground beef
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add the next 5 ingredients. Add beef; mix well.
Shape into 1-inch balls, about 12 dozen. Place in single layers on ungreased
15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pans.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 10-15 minutes or until no longer pink, turning
- Drain and then cool.
- Place about 30 meatballs each into freezer containers. May be frozen for
up to 3 months.
- Use the meatballs to make either of the following recipes:
- 1 batch of 30 meatballs (frozen or thawed)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped onion
teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- 6 sandwich rolls,
- Place meatballs in an ungreased 1-quart baking dish. Combine the next 5 ingredients,
pour over meatballs. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.
- Serve on rolls.
Yield: 6 servings
Also, meatballs may be served as an appetizer with toothpicks instead of on rolls.
Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- 1 (20 ounce) pineapple chunks, drained,
with juice reserved
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 batch of 30
meatballs (frozen or thawed)
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Hot cooked rice
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Set pineapple aside. If juice does not equal
1 cup, add some water to it as needed. Pour into a large skillet. Add the measured
1/3 cup water, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar and cornstarch; stir until smooth.
Cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly. Add pineapple, meatballs
and green pepper. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes or until heated through and sauce
has thickened some. Serve over rice.
Yield: 6 servings