Sloppy Joe Meatballs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, finely
chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 pound lean ground
- 1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 (15
ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 2 or 3 dashes bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine egg, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup of the onion, and the oregano in a large
mixing bowl. Add the ground beef and mix well.
- Shape into 42 meatballs about 3/4-inch in diameter.
- Arrange in a single layer in a 15 x 10-inch jellyroll pan.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until no pink remains. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, cook remaining 1/4 cup onion and the sweet pepper in hot oil
in a large saucepan until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in tomato sauce, brown sugar, mustard, chili powder, black pepper,
garlic salt, and if desired, hot pepper sauce. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat
and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 21 servings
Make-Ahead Tip: Carefully place drained meatballs in sauce. Place in shallow
freezer containers. Cool slightly. Cover and freeze up to 1 month.
To serve, thaw meatball mixture in refrigerator overnight.
Place in a large saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until heated through (about
10 minutes), stirring occasionally.
Serve in a fondue pot, large warmed ceramic bowl or crock pot. Or, to reheat
in a slow cooker, heat thawed meatballs and sauce, covered, on HIGH for 2 to 2 1/2