Corned Beef and Cabbage
Refrigerate leftover corned beef. It makes a delicious sandwich when served on
rye bread spread with spicy mustard and topped with Swiss cheese. For a Reuben,
add a dab of sauerkraut.
- 1 (3 to 4 pound) corned beef brisket
- 1 onion, halved
- 2 ribs celery with tops
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 to 6 new potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 to 6 carrots, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium head cabbage, cut into wedges
- Cover meat with cold water and add onion, celery, 1 carrot, bay leaves,
pepper and garlic. bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer about 3 hours or
until meat is tender.
- When fork pierces the meat easily, it is done. Leave in broth for an additional
- Remove meat from broth.
- Boil potatoes, remaining carrots and cabbage in corned beef broth until
tender, about 10 minutes.
- When vegetables are done, serve on plate with several slices corned beef
on top of vegetables.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Photo credit: jeffreyww
>> Corned Beef Recipes