Corned Beef and Cabbage
Refrigerate leftover corned beef. It makes a delicious sandwich when served on
rye bread spread with spicy mustard and topped with Swiss cheese. For a Reuben,
add a dab of sauerkraut.
- 1 (3 to 4 pound) corned beef brisket
- 1 onion, halved
- 2 ribs celery with tops
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 to 6 new potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 to 6 carrots, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium head cabbage, cut into wedges
- Cover meat with cold water and add onion, celery, 1 carrot, bay leaves,
pepper and garlic. bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer about 3 hours or
until meat is tender.
- When fork pierces the meat easily, it is done. Leave in broth for an additional
- Remove meat from broth.
- Boil potatoes, remaining carrots and cabbage in corned beef broth until
tender, about 10 minutes.
- When vegetables are done, serve on plate with several slices corned beef
on top of vegetables.