Rustic Corned Beef & Potato Bake
If using deli corned beef and frozen prepared roasted potatoes, increase covered
baking time to 35 minutes.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions, including white and green parts
- 1/2 cup horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Corned Beef and Potatoes
- 12 ounces corned beef brisket, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons horseradish-butter mixture
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups reserved potato halves
- Horseradish Butter: Place butter, green onions, horseradish, ground pepper
and salt in glass measuring cup. Microwave on HIGH for 1 to 2 minutes or until butter melts; mix well.
- Corned Beef and Potatoes: Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and thyme; cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is tender. Remove from heat; stir in corned beef and 2 tablespoons Horseradish Butter.
- Meanwhile, coat bottom and sides of 9-inch glass pie plate with remaining 1 teaspoon butter; set aside.
- Cut each potato half into 4 wedges. Arrange 1/2 of potato wedges in single layer over bottom of pie plate; stick remaining potato wedges upright around the edge of the pie plate.
- Combine cheeses in small bowl. Sprinkle potatoes with 1/2 of cheese mixture. Top with corned beef mixture and remaining cheese mixture. Press firmly with spatula to compact layers; cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Uncover; continue baking 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and edges begin to brown.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Cut into wedges.
Nutrition information per serving: 445 calories; 28 g fat (13 g saturated fat; 11 g monounsaturated fat); 121 mg cholesterol; 1130 mg sodium; 121 g carbohydrate; 1.5 g fiber; 27 g protein; 2.6 mg niacin; 0.3 mg vitamin B6; 2.3 mcg vitamin B12;
2.5 mg iron; 33.0 mcg selenium; 5.1 mg zinc
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of niacin, vitamin B6 and iron.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: The Beef Checkoff