Chili-Stuffed Potato Skins
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced jarred jalapeno peppers
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can refried beans
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Wash and dry the potatoes, then pierce each several times with a fork. Microwave on HIGH for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until cooked through. Timing varies by microwave.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the olive oil, garlic, onion and jalapenos. Sauté until the onion just begins to get tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and sauté until browned, about another 5 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and refried beans, then mix well and reduce heat to low. Bring to a simmer, season with salt and pepper, then cover and reduce heat to just keep warm.
- Carefully cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then use a spoon to scoop out the insides and place them in a large bowl. Leave about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of potato all around the skin. Arrange the potato skins on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- To the bowl of potatoes, add 1 cup of the Cheddar cheese, the ricotta and milk. Mix well, then season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Fill the potato skins almost to overflowing with the meat-and-bean mixture. Carefully spoon a bit of the potato-and-cheese mixture over the meat. Sprinkle each with some of the remaining Cheddar.
- Bake until the cheese melts and the mashed-potato topping just begins to brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.
Yield: 8 servings
Approximate values per serving: 452 calories, 26 g fat, 12 g saturated fat, 77 mg cholesterol, 31 g carbohydrates, 24 g protein, 466 mg sodium, 5 g fiber, 52 percent of calories from fat