Hamburger Steaks and Gravy
- 1 1/3 pounds lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup self-rising flour
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- Meat Patties: Combine all ingredients except flour. Shape meat into 4 patties.
Dredge patties in flour. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in skillet. Brown patties
in oil over medium high heat on both sides. Remove from skillet.
- Onions: Add onions to drippings in skillet; reduce heat to medium and sauté
until onions are browned.
- Gravy: Combine gravy ingredients in a bowl, mixing well with wire whisk.
Pour into skillet with onions, stirring constantly until gravy thickens (only
takes a few minutes ).
- Return patties to skillet, turning to coat with gravy. Cover, reduce heat
and simmer for 15 minutes or until done.
I put my browned patties in a casserole dish and cover with thickened gravy
and onions. Cover casserole and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine 6/26/01 8:38:06 am.