Wild West Beef Hash
- 1 pound Ground Beef (95% lean)
- 3 cups frozen potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 jar (15 to 16 ounces) prepared thick-and-chunky
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat
Cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese blend
- Reduced fat dairy sour cream, chopped fresh cilantro,
lime wedges (optional)
- Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until
hot. Add potatoes; cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring
occasionally. Remove from skillet. Keep warm.
- Brown Ground Beef in same skillet over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes,
breaking up into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove drippings.
Season beef with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Stir in salsa, corn and 1/4 cup cilantro; cook for 5 minutes or until heated
through, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in potatoes; sprinkle with cheese. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until
heated through and cheese is melted.
- Serve with toppings, if desired.
Total Recipe Time: 40 to 45 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should
be cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F. Color is not a reliable indicator
of Ground Beef doneness.
Nutrition information per serving: 392 calories; 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat;
3 g monounsaturated fat); 82 mg cholesterol; 1109 mg sodium; 44 g carbohydrate;
3.8 g fiber; 35 g protein; 8.4 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 2.4 mcg vitamin B12;
4.6 mg iron; 24.1 mcg selenium; 7.2 mg zinc
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12,
iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.
Reprinted with permission from
the Cattlemen's Beef Board.