Fried Liver and Onions
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1 pound onions, sliced
- 1 pound baby beef liver
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- Heat oven to 200 degrees F.
- Fry bacon and drain, reserving bacon grease. Keep bacon warm in oven.
- Return 2 tablespoons bacon grease to same skillet, and over medium-high heat, saute onions until translucent; add more bacon grease 1 tablespoon at a time, if needed. Remove onions to oven to keep warm.
- Return remaining bacon grease to skillet. Coat liver in flour, and sear in skillet over medium-high heat, watching carefully. As soon as liquid seeps to top of meat, turn and cook 2 minutes on other side. Remove meat to oven to keep warm.
- Sprinkle remaining flour into hot skillet, and stir constantly until flour begins to brown, then add broth. Boil for 1 minute, then reduce heat and simmer 1 minute longer.
- Pour gravy over liver and onions, and sprinkle crumbled bacon on top or lay strips of bacon on top.
Yield: 4 servings