Smothered Liver (Higado de Res)
- 8 (1/2 inch) slices calves liver
- 1 quart boiling water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, finely mashed
- Salt and pepper
- Flour, as needed
- Bacon grease or vegetable oil
- Place liver in a large bowl and pour boiling water over them. Allow liver to blanch. When grayish in color, remove from hot water and remove skin from edges of slices.
- Marinate in a mixture of vinegar, Worcestershire, garlic, salt and pepper for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove liver from marinade and roll in flour. Brown in hot fat, then reduce heat and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Avoid overcooking. Turn once only.
- Serve with fried onions and crisp bacon slices, with pickled serrano peppers on the side.