All American Pot Roast
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (4 pound) boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 3 cups beef bouillon
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound green beans
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- In Dutch oven heat oil over medium heat.
- Add meat; brown on all sides.
- Add onion, celery, garlic, bouillon, ketchup, salt, thyme and pepper. Cover; bring
to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add potatoes and carrots. Cover; simmer for 1/2 hour or until meat and vegetables
- Add green beans and simmer for 10 minutes longer or until tender-crisp.
- Remove meat and vegetables to platter.
- Stir together cornstarch and water until smooth. Add to liquid in Dutch
oven. Stirring constantly, bring to boil over medium heat and boil 1 minute.
- Serve gravy over meat and vegetables.
Yield: about 6 servings