Bacon and Herb Topped Beef Roast
- 1 beef Strip Petite Roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 4 slices smoked bacon, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1 pound carrots, cut diagonally into 1/8-inch slices
- 1 pound parsnips, cut diagonally into 1/8-inch slices
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Coarsely chop 3 slices bacon. Combine bacon, 1 tablespoon tarragon and 3 cloves
garlic; press evenly onto all sides of beef roast.
- Place roast, fat-side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat
thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat. Do
not add water or cover. Roast in 325 degrees F oven 1 to 1 1/4 hours for medium
rare; 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours for medium doneness.
- Meanwhile, chop remaining slice bacon. Cook bacon in large nonstick skillet 3
to 5 minutes or until bacon is browned and crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove
with slotted spoon to paper-towel-lined plate, reserving drippings in skillet. Add
carrots, parsnips, 3/4 cup water and remaining clove garlic to same skillet. Bring
to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove
cover and continue cooking 2 to 4 minutes or until water has evaporated and vegetables
are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
Keep warm; set aside.
- Remove Roast when meat thermometer registers 135 degrees F for medium rare; 150
degrees F for medium. Transfer Roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum
foil. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10 degrees
F to reach 145 degrees F for medium rare; 160 degrees F for medium.)
- Sprinkle vegetables with reserved bacon and remaining 1 tablespoon tarragon.
Carve Roast into slices; season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Serve with vegetables.
Yield: 6 to 8 (6-ounce) or 12 to 16 (3-ounce) servings
Nutrition information per serving, 6 oz each: 339 calories; 13 g fat (4 g
saturated fat; 6 g monounsaturated fat); 108 mg cholesterol; 138 mg sodium; 16 g
carbohydrate; 4.4 g fiber; 39 g protein; 12.4 mg niacin; 0.9 mg vitamin B6; 5.3
mcg vitamin B12; 3.1 mg iron; 47.4 mcg selenium; 7.8 mg zinc; 10.3 mg choline
Recipe and photo credit:
Texas Beef Council.
Please SHOP HERE to support this site. We are an Amazon affiliate as a means of paying for the high cost of maintaining Recipe Goldmine. Thank you.