- 1 (3 pound) lean beef chuck, cubed
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup beef consomme
- 2 to 3 cups dry red wine
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms or 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sautéed in 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 small white onions, parboiled
- Brown meat in shortening; add flour and seasonings. Stir well. Pour into
- Add broth and wine.
- Bake for 2 hours at 300 degrees F.
- Add mushrooms and onions. May add more broth and wine, if dry.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours more, perhaps lowering oven temperature.
- Skim fat from gravy.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, noodles or rice.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings