Beef Pot Roast with Cornmeal Dumplings
- 1 (4 pound) chuck roast
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Roast: Brown pot roast in hot fat.
- Add water, tomato sauce, onions and garlic. Cover and cook over low heat
for 2 hours.
- Add remaining ingredients. Cover and continue cooking until meat is tender.
- Serve with cornmeal or plain dumplings.
- Cornmeal Dumplings: Beat egg with milk.
- Add 2 tablespoons melted shortening or margarine.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend well.
- Drop by tablespoons into pot roast sauce, cover pan tightly and simmer for