There are theories that suggest that beef Wellington is named after Arthur Wellesley,
1st Duke of Wellington.
- 2 1/2 - 3 pound Certified Angus Beef ® tenderloin or center cut
- 1 shallot,
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup finely chopped button
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup red wine
- Olive oil as needed
- 1 (17.3-ounce, 2 sheets) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- All purpose flour as needed
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons
- 1 (12-fluid ounce) package prepared beef demi-glace
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In medium skillet, melt butter; add shallot and mushrooms. Sweat mixture
over medium heat. As water begins to cook out, turn heat to low, stirring occasionally,
until mixture is dry looking (about 10 to 15 minutes).
- Add red wine and cook until dry again. Season as needed with salt and pepper;
- Brush beef with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. In large skillet,
sear beef until it turns brown on all sides. Cover tenderloin and refrigerate
until ready to assemble.
- To assemble, roll puff pastry to length that extends 2 inches past each
end of the tenderloin, and twice as wide as the diameter; use flour as needed
to prevent sticking. Spread thin layer of mushroom mixture down center of puff
pastry, keeping 2-inch border all around. Lay tenderloin on top of mushroom
mixture; fold puff pastry around, creating seam on bottom and tucking sides
under. Place on parchment papered baking sheet, seam side down.
- Combine egg yolk and water to form an egg wash. Brush over puff pastry and
bake 20 minutes. Turn temperature down to 400 degrees F and bake an additional
15 minutes. If the crust begins to get dark, tent with foil. For medium-rare,
remove beef from oven when meat thermometer registers 135 degrees F rest covered
10 minutes before slicing. Heat demi-glace in small saucepan.
- To serve, cut into 12 each 1/2-inch slices. Fan two slices on each dinner
plate. Top with 2 ounces demi-glace.
Nutritional information: Calories: 902 Fat: 50 g Saturated Fat: 16 g Cholesterol:
196 mg Carbohydrate: 51 g Dietary Fiber: 6 g Protein: 57 g Sodium: 924 mg Iron:
38% of Daily Value
Reprinted with permission from
the Certified Angus Beef® brand.