Braised Pot Roast with Root Vegetables
- 1 (2 1/2 pound) Certified Angus Beef ® English roast
- 3 tablespoons canola
- 3 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 parsnips, peeled
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped
- 10 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 bottle red wine
- 1 can cream of chicken and mushroom soup
- 32 ounces beef
- Water to cover
- 1 apple, quartered and cored
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Heat oil in large roasting pan over high heat.
- Season roast with salt and
pepper. Brown roast on all sides and remove from pan.
- Add potatoes, parsnips, carrots, onion, celery, squash, mushrooms, sage,
oregano, bay leaves and pepper; cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add honey
and wine; reduce by half.
- Return roast to pan, add soup, beef broth, water and
apple. Bring to a low simmer.
- Place in oven and cook for 4 hours, until fork tender.
- Remove roast and
strained vegetables from pan.
- Cook remaining liquid over high heat to thicken,
- Serve sauce over roast and vegetables.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutritional information: Calories: 764 Fat: 22 g Saturated Fat: 7 g Cholesterol:
147 mg Carbohydrate: 64 g Dietary Fiber: 11 g Protein: 53 g Sodium: 1472 mg Iron:
79% of Daily Value
Reprinted with permission from
Certified Angus Beef® Brand.