Chili Roast and Gravy
- 1 (3 or 4 pound) rump roast
- 4 cups water
- Salt and black pepper
- 4 tablespoons fat
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Bring roast and water to boil. Skim off foam.
- Season with salt and black pepper. Simmer until meat is tender.
- When done, let broth settle. Skim off most of the fat. Slice roast beef.
- To Make Gravy: Brown flour in fat until a deep golden brown.
- Add onion and sauté in this roux.
- Add chili powder, then the broth from the roast, 1 cup at
a time, until desired thickness, stirring constantly.
- Add vinegar; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced roast beef and simmer slowly for 30 minutes.
- Serve with rice or mashed potatoes.