Herb-Crusted Beef Rib Roast with Roasted
Fennel and Horseradish Cream Sauce
- 1 beef ribeye roast bone-In (4 ribs), chine bone removed
- 6 quarts water
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons freshly ground peppercorn medley
Roasted Fennel (optional)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 4 large fennel bulbs (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Horseradish Cream Sauce
- 1 cup reduced-fat dairy sour cream
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced chives
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- Brine: ombine water, salt, sugar and peppercorn medley in
20-quart food-safe container; stir to dissolve salt and sugar. Cool water
for 1 hour; add beef roast. Cover and refrigerate overnight or up to 24
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove roast from brine; discard brine. Pat dry roast with paper towel.
- Combine Seasoning ingredients in small bowl; press evenly onto all
surfaces of roast. Place roast, fat-side up, in shallow roasting pan. Insert
ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not
resting in fat or touching bone. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 350
degrees F oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours for medium rare; 3 to 3 1/2 hours for
medium doneness. Meanwhile, prepare Roasted Fennel, if desired.
- Roasted Fennel: Trim off and save fronds
from fennel bulbs; cut off stems to within 1 inch of bulbs and discard
stems. Cut each bulb lengthwise into quarters. Place on rimmed baking sheet.
Drizzle with olive oil; toss gently to coat, keeping fennel pieces intact.
Season with kosher salt; arrange cut-sides down. About 1 1/2 hours before
roast is done, place fennel in lower third of oven. Roast for 1 3/4 to 2
hours or until tender and lightly browned, turning and rearranging once.
Just before serving, toss fennel with 1/4 cup chopped fennel fronds.
- Horseradish Cream Sauce: Combine ingredients in small bowl;
cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135 degrees F for medium
rare; 150 degrees F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent
loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes. (Temperature will
continue to rise about 10 degrees F to 15 degrees F to reach 145 degrees F
for medium rare; 160 degrees F for medium.)
- Carve roast into slices; season with salt, as desired. Serve with
Horseradish Cream Sauce and Roasted Fennel, if desired.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Nutrition information per serving: 549 Calories; 44 g Total Fat; 18 g
Saturated Fat; 18 g Monounsaturated Fat; 131 mg Cholesterol; 1375 mg Sodium; 3 g
Total carbohydrate; 34 g Protein; 3.5 mg Iron; 5 mg Niacin; 1.4 mg Vitamin B6;
123.7 mg Choline; 3.6 mcg Vitamin B12; 7.8 mg Zinc; 32 mcg Selenium; 0.3 g Fiber
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Texas Beef Team