Asiago and Mushroom Beef Stroganoff
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 pounds beef sirloin steak, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups (1 quart) beef stock
- 1 (12 ounce) package uncooked egg noodles
- 3 ounces (1 cup) Nasonville Asiago cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley leaves and additional grated Nasonville Asiago cheese (optional)
- Warm canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak; cook and stir until steak is no longer pink. Remove meat and juices from pan; keep warm.
- Melt butter in the same skillet over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms; cook and stir until tender.
- Add garlic; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, mustard and paprika.
- Add steak and juices back to pan. Add wine, stirring to loosen any browned bits from bottom of skillet. Stir in stock; bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add noodles; cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove skillet from the heat. Gradually stir in asiago until melted.
- Stir in sour cream. (Do not boil.)
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with parsley and asiago if desired.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin