Beef Stroganoff with Greek Yogurt Sauce
Nothing feeds a growing family like a hearty, home-cooked meal. Beef stroganoff
has always been a traditional dinner dish as generations of families have gathered
around the table to share in this robust meal. It's no wonder that families have
fallen in love with the rich, velvety sauce of seared beef and mushrooms that perfectly
complement a warm bed of noodles. Our version of this dinnertime favorite holds
true to the familiar flavors while adding creamy Cabot Greek Yogurt, smoky paprika,
and baby bella mushrooms for a healthier, heartier sauce.
- 1 pound top sirloin, cut into thin 1 x 2-inch strips
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots or onions
- 8 ounces baby bella (cremini) mushrooms, stems trimmed, caps wiped clean and sliced
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 12 ounces wide whole-wheat or regular egg noodles
- 2/3 cup Cabot 2% Plain Greek Yogurt or Cabot Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Sweet smoked paprika (optional)
- Season beef with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in large heavy skillet over high heat until very hot and shimmering.
- Add enough of beef so it is in single layer with pieces separated; cook until
browned on both sides, about 1 minute per side.
- Transfer to plate and repeat
until all of beef is cooked; set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to skillet, reducing heat to medium; add shallots
or onions and cook until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, for several minutes longer until mushrooms
are tender and lightly browned.
- Add flour, stirring until it is lightly browned
and blended in, 30 to 60 seconds longer.
- Stir in beef broth; bring to simmer, scraping up browned bits from bottom
of skillet, and cook until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain and toss with remaining
- Return skillet with mushrooms and sauce to heat; stir in reserved browned
beef and any juices.
- When heated through, turn off heat under pan and add yogurt
and dill, stirring until well blended.
- Taste and add additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve over noodles, sprinkled with paprika if using.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Cabot Creamery - cabotcheese.coop
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Beef Steak Recipes