Chicken Fried Steak
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3 pound) round steak
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons green Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon each salt and cracked pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Trim steak and pound, if needed, to 1/2-inch thick; cut into 6 to 8 pieces.
- Combine milk, Tabasco sauce and salt in a bowl.
- Measure 1 cup of flour into a bowl.
- Combine remaining flour, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper in another bowl. Dip steak into flour, into milk mixture, and then into seasoned flour. Set aside until all meat is coated.
- Heat 1 or 2 inches of oil in a heavy fry pan. Fry meat until both sides are golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Drain on paper towels. Serve with cream gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits.
- Cream Gravy: Pour off all but 6 tablespoons of fat from fry pan; add 6 tablespoons flour into pan (use any leftover seasoned flour) and blend well. Gradually stir in 2 1/2 cups of milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover steak with gravy when served.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings; 2 cups Cream Gravy
Posted by tgraddy at Recipe Goldmine 6/5/01 9:27:47 pm.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.