Classic Beef Burgundy
- 1 (1 1/2 pound) round steak, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1/2 pound small mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 3 cups sliced onion
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Combine beef, 3/4 cup wine and onion. Cover; refrigerate overnight.
- Drain beef cubes; set aside. Strain and reserve liquid.
- Sauté mushrooms in 3 tablespoons margarine until lightly browned; remove
and set aside.
- Add beef; cook until well browned. Remove and set aside.
- Sauté sliced onion, carrots, parsley and garlic in remaining 1 tablespoon
margarine until onions are tender.
- Add meat, marjoram, thyme, pepper, bay leaf, marinade and 1 cup water. Cover
and simmer 2 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Dissolve flour in remaining 1/4 cup water; add to beef mixture.
- Add mushrooms and cook until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in remaining wine.
Makes 6 servings.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.