Orange-Chipotle Skirt Steaks
- Juice of 1 medium orange
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from chipotle peppers)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds beef skirt steak, cut into 4 to 6-inch pieces
- 2 medium oranges, divided
- 2 cups chopped tomatillos (4 to 5 small to medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 to 3 teaspoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Marinade: Combine ingredients in small bowl.
- Steaks: Place beef steaks in food-safe plastic bag; turn steaks to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
- Tomatillo Salsa: Grate 1/2 teaspoon peel from 1 orange. Cut this orange and half of remaining orange into segments. Chop segments into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Combine orange peel and segments, tomatillos, onion, chipotle peppers, cumin and salt in medium bowl; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cut remaining 1/2 orange into wedges; reserve for garnish.
- Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade.
- Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, uncovered, 10 to 13 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 8 to 12 minutes) for medium rare (145 degrees F) to medium (160 degrees F) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Carve steaks diagonally across the grain into thin slices; season with salt, as desired.
- Serve with tomatillo salsa. Garnish with reserved orange wedges.
Marinate: 6 hr to overnight | Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Cattlemens Beef Board and National Cattlemen's Beef Association
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.