Peppered Beef Puffs
- 1kg (2 pounds) minced steak
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup packaged dry breadcrumbs
- 6 shallots
- Salt, pepper
- 60g (2 ounces) butter
- 500g (1 pound) packet puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 90g (3 ounces) butter
- 250g (8 ounces) button mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt, pepper
- Steak: Put meat, eggs, breadcrumbs, finely chopped shallots, salt and pepper into bowl; mix well.
- Divide meat into 6 equal portions. Shape into small loaves, pressing in lightly.
- Heat butter in frying pan, cook loaves on all sides until golden brown, remove from pan, cool.
- Cut pastry into 6 equal portions, roll out each portion to 9 x 5 inches rectangle.
- Put cold meatloaf into center of each pastry strip, brush edges of pastry with egg yolk mixture.
- Bake in hot oven for 10 minutes or until golden, reduce heat to moderate, cook further 15 minutes.
- Serve sauce separately.
- Mushroom Sauce: Heat butter in pan.
- Add finely sliced mushrooms, sauté until mushrooms are tender.
- Add flour, stir until combined; cook for 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat, add wine, water and crumbled stock cubes.
- Return pan to heat, stir until sauce boils and thickens; season with salt and pepper.
- Add basil and tomato paste, mix well.
- Simmer sauce uncovered for 5 minutes.
Yield: 6 servings
From the kitchen of Martin James – Copenhagen, Denmark.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.