Skillet Swiss Steak
- 1 1/2 pounds round steak
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- Trim excess fat from meat, then cut into serving pieces.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper. Pound flour into both sides of meat
with edge of saucer.
- Heat oil or shortening in skillet. Add meat
and brown slowly on both sides.
- Add all remaining ingredients. Heat
until liquid is boiling. Then reduce to simmer, cover and simmer
1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.