Sour Cream Swiss Steak
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 (3 pound) boneless round steak, cut into serving-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup finely-chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Additional paprika (optional)
- In a shallow bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper, paprika and mustard;
dredge the steak.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and butter. Cook
steak on both sides until browned. Carefully add water; cover and
simmer for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl combine the sour cream, onion, garlic, soy sauce, brown
sugar and flour; stir until smooth.
- Transfer steak to a greased 2 1/2-quart baking dish; add sour cream mixture.
- Cover and bake at 325 degrees F for 1 1/2 hours or until tender.
- Sprinkle with paprika if desired.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings