Steak with Creole Gravy
- 1 round steak or sirloin steak
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 tablespoons oil or solid shortening
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 (10 ounce) can whole tomatoes or stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup water, if needed
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- Slice steak into strips and flour the meat strips with 1 tablespoon
flour. Set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet and brown flour beef strips in hot oil.
- Remove browned beef from oil and set aside.
- Scrape skillet to pick up browned crusted bits on the bottom of
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons flour to oil and crusty bits
and stir over medium heat to make a brown roux.
- Stir onions, garlic, bell pepper and celery into roux. Cover skillet
and cook vegetables in the roux for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Return beef strips to the vegetables.
- Stir in canned tomatoes, black
pepper, red pepper, salt and Worcestershire sauce. Cover skillet
and cook for 5 minutes to meld seasonings with beef and vegetables.
- Stir in bouillon cube and additional water if needed to make an
ample gravy. Stir to dissolve bouillon cube.
- Cover skillet and simmer for 1 hour or until beef is fork tender
and gravy thickened.
- Serve over rice.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.