Strip Steaks with Garlic Sauce
- 2 (8 to 12 ounce) strip steaks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup pitted black Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed flat with the side of a knife
- Cut the strip steaks in half across the midsection to make 4 steaks.
- Season the steaks on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil and butter in a wide skillet over medium high heat. When
the fat is hot, add garlic, and cook a few seconds until it is aromatic.
- Add the steaks and cook until well-browned, about 3 minutes on each
side (remove garlic when it gets brown).
- Reduce heat to moderate, and cook about 7 minutes more, or until
done to desired tastes. Remove to serving plates.
- Add the olives to the skillet, and stir to heat through.
- Add a little water, beef broth or red wine to the skillet and scrape out bits
that are sticking, then pour this pan sauce over the steak.
- Serve with steamed or sautéed asparagus orecchiette (ear-shaped
pasta) or small shell pasta coated with gorgonzola or blue cheese.