Traditional Smothered Steak
A traditional favorite like Mom used to make.
- 2 pounds round steak
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, cut in half and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 envelope beefy onion soup mix
- 1 can beef broth
- 1 cup water
- In skillet, or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onion until
translucent; remove and set aside.
- In same skillet, sauté round steak until browned.
- Meanwhile, stir together mushroom soup, onion soup mix, beef broth and 1
cup water until blended; add onion and pour over browned meat.
- Reduce heat, cover with tight fitting lid, and simmer for 45 minutes to
1 hour, or until beef is fork tender, or for Dutch oven, cover and cook in preheated
350 degree F oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Texas Beef Council
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Beef Steak Recipes