Veal Saltimbocca is easily multiplied to serve any number of people.
- 4 thin veal cutlets
- Salt and pepper
- Powdered sage
- 2 thin slices prosciutto (or cooked ham)
- 2 thin slices Provolone cheese
- Vegetable oil
- 6 or 8 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 2 cups Rhine wine
- Season 2 cutlets with salt, pepper and sage.
- On top of each cutlet, layer a slice of ham, cheese and the other cutlet. Press edges of veal together firmly to hold filling and secure with wooden picks.
- In skillet heat oil and brown sides of veal well. Remove veal and keep warm.
- In small pan sauté mushrooms, parsley and garlic in 1 tablespoon of the butter.
- To skillet in which veal was browned, add wine; heat, and scrape remaining browned bits into wine.
- Add mushrooms and parsley to wine.
- Return veal to skillet and ladle sauce over meat.
- Add remaining butter and cook slowly over low heat until tender.
- Remove wooden picks before serving.
Yield: 2 servings