Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic
This recipe is so much fun! During the meal, you squeeze the garlic onto
bread and spread it like butter. Simply delicious!
- 2/3 cup oil
- 8 drumsticks and 8 thighs or 16 of one
- 4 ribs celery (in long strips)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 sprigs parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Dash of nutmeg
- 40 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- French bread or toast
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine celery, onion, parsley and tarragon and place in a heavy 6-quart
casserole or 9 x 13-baking dish.
- Dip chicken pieces into oil to coat evenly and place on top of vegetables.
Add vermouth; sprinkle with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Tuck garlic around and
between chicken. Cover tightly with foil and lid.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours without removing cover.
- Serve with pan juices, garlic and slices of bread. Squeeze garlic out from
root end of papery husk onto bread and spread like butter.
Yield: 8 servings
Photo credit: InfoMofo on Visual Hunt / CC BY-SA