Chicken Curry in Papaya
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons instant minced onion
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 tart apple, peeled and diced
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 whole cloves
- 4 teaspoons chicken-flavor base
- 2 1/2 cups hot water
- 4 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup milk or cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped chutney
- 3 papayas
- In a 3-quart saucepan melt butter; add onion, celery and apple and cook
about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix together flour, curry powder, garlic powder, dry mustard and seasoned
salt; stir into apple mixture along with bay leaf and cloves.
- Dissolve flavor base in water and stir into apple mixture; cook, stirring,
until sauce thickens.
- Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add chicken, cream and chutney and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Cut 3 papayas in half. Carefully remove seeds, being sure not to leave one.
Fill papaya halves with curried chicken.
- Arrange in baking dish and bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.
- Serve with rice and chutney.