Civil War Chicken
Due to the shortage of salt during the war, Southerners were compelled to use
salted meat for their food.
- 1 whole fryer or favorite chicken pieces
- Pepper, to taste
- 6 slices salt meat
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Split chicken down the back and place in iron skillet with 1-inch water.
- Pepper to taste.
- Place thinly sliced salt meat evenly onto chicken pieces.
- Cover tightly and bake 3 hours at 250 degrees F.
- Thicken gravy with flour paste.
- Serve with rice.
Yield: 4 servings