Crispy Cheesy Chicken Parmesan
Chicken Parmesan can be super-high in fat and calories, but by slashing the
amount of oil used for frying and switching to light cheddar, this hearty family
dinner can be enjoyed without the guilt.
- 4 (4- to 6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3/4 cup Panko (Japanese) breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed or wheat germ
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce
- 4 ounces Cabot Lite50 Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place chicken breast halves between two
pieces of plastic wrap or waxed paper; pound with heavy pan or meat mallet
until about 1/4-inch thick. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place flour in shallow bowl.
- In another shallow bowl, whisk together
egg and water until well combined. In third bowl, combine breadcrumbs,
Parmesan and flaxseed or wheat germ.
- Working with one piece at a
time, dredge both sides of chicken in flour, shaking off excess.
- Dip in egg, allowing excess to drip off, and finally dredge in breadcrumb
mixture until well coated.
- Heat about 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil in
large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken (in batches if
necessary) and cook until golden on underside, about 2 minutes.
- Add remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, turn chicken over and cook until golden on
second side, about 2 minutes longer.
- Transfer to baking sheet and top
each chicken breast evenly with some of marinara sauce and cheddar. Bake
until chicken is cooked through to center and cheese is melted, about 7
- Sprinkle with basil and serve.
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Baked Chicken Recipes