Crispy Oven-Baked Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- 1 cup corn flakes cereal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 cut-up whole chicken (3 to 3 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- Cooking spray
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a 13 x 9-inch pan with aluminum foil; spray
foil with cooking spray.
- Place cereal in a plastic food-storage bag; seal bag and crush with rolling
pin or meat mallet.
- In shallow dish, mix crushed cereal, flour, garlic powder, onion powder,
poultry seasoning, black pepper, paprika, salt and ground red pepper.
- Place chicken in another shallow dish.
- Pour buttermilk over chicken pieces, turning to coat all sides.
- Remove chicken pieces, one at a time, from buttermilk,
then dip into cereal mixture, turning to coat completely; shake off excess.
- Place chicken pieces, bone sides down, in pan. Spray top of chicken with cooking
- Bake uncovered for 50 to 60 minutes or until juice of chicken is clear when
thickest piece is cut to bone (170 degrees F for breasts; 180 degrees F for
thighs and drumsticks).