Crusty Southern Cornmeal Chicken Breasts
- 6 cups skim or 1% buttermilk
- Salt to taste
- 3 1/2 teaspoons black pepper,
- 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 12 garlic cloves, mashed
- 12 (8 ounce)
boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 2 3/4 cups seasoned cornbread stuffing, crushed
until lumpy but not fine crumbs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- Paprika as needed
- Whisk together milk, salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, cayenne and garlic.
- Place chicken in baking dish. Pour mixture over chicken.
- Refrigerate for at
least 3 hours or overnight, turning occasionally to distribute seasoning.
- Combine stuffing, flour, seasoning, 2 teaspoons black pepper, thyme and
- Remove chicken from marinade; shake off excess liquid.
- Dredge chicken in crumb mixture, coating evenly.
- Sauté chicken over high heat, 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until brown.
- Place on baking pan coated with vegetable oil.
- Lightly spray each piece with oil and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 400 degrees F about 15 minutes or until crusty and brown.
Yield: 12 servings
Nutrition per portion: Calories, 273; fat, 8g (26% calories from fat); protein,
44g; carbohydrate, 4g; cholesterol, 109mg; sodium, 395mg