Dutch Chicken Pie
- 1 large or 2 small chickens
- 2 onions, quartered
- 3 ribs celery, quartered
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- Simmer chicken in water to cover with salt, pepper, onions, celery and carrots
- Remove chicken from bones and cut in large chunks.
- Place in a 2-inch deep oblong baking dish.
- Reduce stock to 2 cups.
- Add cream and 2 tablespoons butter.
- Correct seasonings.
- Pour over chicken in baking dish.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Work in 2 tablespoons butter
with pastry mixer or finger tips.
- Add egg and milk.
- Drop by spoonsful over chicken and gravy.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven until batter is puffed up and brown.
- Cut into squares to serve.
Yield: 8 servings