Forty Cloves of Garlic Chicken
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3 pound) fryer
- 40 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Pan Sauce (optional)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 40 reserved unpeeled garlic cloves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Chicken: Remove fat from rear cavity of chicken.
Rinse chicken under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels inside and out.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and place breast side down
in shallow roasting pan.
- Arrange unpeeled garlic cloves around chicken in roasting pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Pour wine over chicken and continue baking, basting every 20 minutes with pan
juices, until done.
- Remove chicken to heated platter, reserving pan juices.
- Serve with garlic or use garlic in sauce.
- Pan Sauce: Skim fat from roasting pan and discard.
- Place pan on burner over high
heat and add stock and cream. Boil for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, pop cooked garlic out of peels and puree in blender or food processor
fitted with steel knife.
- Stir garlic into sauce and cook another minute.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Yield: 2 to 4 servings