Hoisin and Orange Glazed Roast Chicken
- 1 (4 pound) roasting chicken
- 3/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 orange, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1-inch ginger piece, peeled
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into thin slices
- Place chicken breast side up in roasting pan.
- Using pastry brush, spread some of hoisin sauce on inside of cavity, and the
rest of it all over outside of chicken.
- Place the orange pieces and the 1-inch piece of ginger inside the cavity.
- Pour 1/2 cup orange juice, the soy sauce, and sesame oil on the chicken; sprinkle
the chopped ginger on top.
- Let marinate, covered and refrigerated, for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Roast chicken for 15 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees F and
roast, basting every 15 minutes or so, for another 30-45 minutes, depending on size
of chicken. If juices in bottom of pan dry up, tip chicken so juices from cavity
spill out, or add another 1/4 cup orange juice or water.
- Remove pan from oven and tilt the remaining juices out of chicken cavity into
- Place chicken on carving board, and let sit loosely covered with foil for 10-15
- Discard extra fat from roasting pan. Scrape any browned bits clinging to bottom
of pan, and gently heat juices over low heat.
- Cut chicken into serving pieces.
- Drizzle hot juices over chicken and serve garnished with orange slices.
Yield: 4 servings