Leftover Chicken with Biscuit Topping
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, peeled, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- About 2/3 cup milk
- Filling: Heat oil in skillet.
- Add onion, green pepper, and mushrooms; sauté a few minutes.
- Add cornstarch; cook 1 minute, stirring all the time.
- Add milk gradually; stir until boiling.
- Add chicken and seasoning.
- Turn into deep 8- or 9-inch pie plate.
- Biscuits: sift flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture looks like coarse bread
- Using fork, stir in enough milk to make soft but not sticky dough.
- Knead lightly on floured board; roll about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into 1 1/2-inch rounds with cookie cutter.
- Place rounds on top of chicken mixture; brush with milk.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
Yield: 4 servings
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 7/9/02 6:46:14 am.