Moroccan Roasted Chicken
Heavenly-scented roast chicken!
- 1 whole chicken, about 4 pounds
- 1/2 preserved lemon*
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped roughly
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped roughly
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 bottle (16 ounces) pomegranate juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- Wash chicken and gently pull loose the skin. Set aside.
- In food processor, combine preserved lemon, olive oil, garlic, cumin, ginger,
cinnamon, allspice and cayenne pepper. Grind to smooth paste.
- Rub marinade under chicken skin and inside cavity.
- Place chicken in refrigerator and marinate at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Heat oven to 500 degrees F.
- In large roasting pan, combine onion, carrot, cinnamon stick, sugar and
- Place chicken in pan and cook in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and turn chicken over; cook another 20 minutes.
- Turn chicken over again and cook 20 minutes.
- Turn chicken final time and cook additional 20 minutes. Baste chicken with
pan juices during each turn.
- While chicken is cooking, place pomegranate juice in small saucepan and
bring to boil over medium heat. Cook until reduced to about 1/4 cup.
- Remove chicken to cutting board and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Place drippings from pan in medium saucepan; add reduced pomegranate juice
and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook 15 minutes to thicken.
- Stir in mint.
Yield: 4 servings
* To make preserved lemons, cut 4 large lemons into 8 wedges each.
In mixing bowl, toss with 2/3 cup salt and 1 cup fresh lemon juice. Transfer
to large glass jar and cover with tight-fitting lid.
Let lemons stand at room temperature for one week, shaking jar each day.
Add olive oil to cover lemons and store, covered and refrigerated, up to 6 months.
Nutrition Analysis, Per Serving: 720 calories; 40 g fat; 10 g saturated fat;
28 g carbohydrate
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
National Chicken Council - recipe from
Copia, Napa, California
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Baked Chicken Recipes