Old Plantation-Style Chicken
- 2 small fryers
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can consommé or bouillon
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- Lemon juice
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Drippings from broiled chicken
- Chicken: Quarter fryers; wash and pat dry.
- Salt and pepper each quarter.
- Place skin-side up in large but shallow roasting pan.
- Put a pat of butter or margarine on each quarter and pour lemon juice over
- With oven on broil, place chicken on lower rack of oven and close oven door.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Turn chicken; baste and Cook 15 minutes longer.
- Turn once again and baste.
- With skin-side up again, cook 15 minutes more for a total of 45 minutes
- Add sherry to chicken and baste with drippings.
- Put a cover of foil on chicken; turn oven to 325 degrees F and bake until
tender, basting every 10 minutes.
- Serve with Mushroom Sauce.
- Mushroom Sauce: Sauté mushrooms in butter.
- Add consommé and season with Worcestershire, lemon juice and Tabasco.
- Blend cornstarch and water into a paste and add to mixture.
- Add a little of the drippings from the chicken pan and cook, stirring constantly,
until sauce is slightly thickened.
Yield: 8 servings
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Baked Chicken Recipes