Oven-Fried Buttermilk Chicken Drumsticks
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons spicy red seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a lidded plastic container large enough to hold the drumsticks, combine
the seasoning, bay leaf, hot sauce and butter. Stir well. Add chicken, turning
to coat, cover with lid and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook chicken, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator.
- Drain chicken in colander (do not rinse); pat dry with paper towels.
- Place flour, salt and pepper in plastic, sealable one-gallon size bag.
- Add chicken drumsticks in batches and shake bag thoroughly to coat.
- Put butter in roasting pan and place in hot oven.
- When butter is melted and pan is hot, add chicken, skin side down.
- Place chicken in oven and cook for 20 minutes.
- Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees F, turn drumsticks and cook another
20 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove cooked drumsticks to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Information, Per Serving: 390 calories; 16 g fat; 5 g saturated
fat; 28 g carbohydrate; 1 g fiber; 3 g sugars; 34 g protein
Recipe and photo credit: National Chicken Council